Wednesday, January 5, 2011

SOAP Matthew 4:1-25 (1-3, 10) 1/6/11

S Matthew 4:1-3, 10
Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He then became hungry. 3 And the tempter came andsaid to Him, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread." 10 Then Jesus said to him,"Go, Satan ! For it is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND SERVE HIM ONLY."

O
1. The Spirit of God led Jesus into the Wilderness. The wilderness is a unique place spiritually speaking. It is a place of learning/wandering/discipline. Here it is a place of retreat from the world and a place of trials.
2. The Spirit led Christ to be tried by the devil. This was all in the plan of God. He has Christ go and be tempted like I am. Christ fights off temptation the ONLY way I can-with Scripture.
3. Satan comes at an opportune time. After 40 days of fasting from food. Jesus is hungry and at that time Satan comes.
4. Jesus is still in control of Himself. Satan could not make Him sin; all he can do (and does well I might add) is tempt.

A
There are two things I must apply from this passage if I want to learn from it. 1. I must determine why I am in the wilderness. Is it to learn? to be disciplined? a retreat? When I find myself there, I must know why I am there. 2. Satan has no POWER over me. I am not his! He can't make me do anything. Sure he bluffs a GREAT game, but I must remember that he is not in control. The way I combat him is by God's Word. Jesus could have "thumped" him across the universe, but you and I can't. So Jesus fought Satan off the only way you and I can. So I must remember that and put it into practice when I get tempted.

P
Lord my prayer is a simple one. Please show me why You have me in the wilderness when I am there. May I not be upset, angry, calloused to it, but may I seek You and be able to sense why You have me there. Lord I know that You don't allow Satan to tempt me more than I can withstand (with Your help), so please show me the way out of each temptation that Satan brings at me. Lord I love You; thank You for Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment